The only thing the lovely Duchess Kate and I have in common is that once upon a time I used to be a brunette. Still, I can’t take my eyes off her, stealthily peeking into magazines that feature her on the cover. All women that love style are transfixed, waiting to see what she will wear next.
One of my clients grumbled, “She is young, pretty, and thin with enormous resources, I’d hope she looks good.” But it is more than that, isn’t it? Plenty of celebrities have the same opportunities to look amazing but choose to wear cut offs with Ugg boots instead. It has been a long time since we had someone with this level of polished perfection to admire. Of course none of us have her assets, but we can learn from her sophisticated choices. Kate knows her personal style and sticks to it. Her tastes are classic, but she is also a trendsetter. Her influence will become more pronounced as she matures into her new role of internationally watched Royal.
What can all of us that love fashion take away from the enjoyable pastime of “Kate Watching?” She has already presented us with quite a few “pointers” that we can scoop up and use in our own pursuit of dressing well. Here are my observations:
- Try different looks but be true to your own style – If Kate is classic, romantic and sporty, how would you define yourself? I like classic, well made clothes too, but I always add a touch of sensuality and artfulness. We’ll never see Kate in anything too exaggerated or bohemian. To learn how to describe your personal style, try the “Spirit Term” exercise.
- Tell a story – Part of the fun of watching her is seeing all they myriad outfits for all the different occasions. She looks cool grocery shopping. We can have fun “dressing for the occasion” even if it is picnic.
- Project your essence – She is a very private person, a Royal after all, but still we feel we know her and we’re rooting for her. We see her. You can do the same with your clothing choices.
- Wear clothes that fit perfectly – You don’t have to be thin or have a perfect figure, you need to be patient when shopping and do necessary alterations.
- Mix high and low – Stylish men and women know this secret not only saves money, it creates an interesting individualized look.
- Repurpose your clothes – We’ve seen her wear the same outfit to different occasions, changing the jacket or accessories. When you buy clothes that you love, you will find ways to wear them again and again.
- Consider dresses – I love dresses but unfortunately great ones are hard to come by, especially with sleeves. Keep looking anyway; perhaps her influence will create a resurgence in what used to be a classic feminine staple.
- Consider nude pantyhose – Not really, unless you want to, but the web is abuzz with the possibility of Kate’s bringing back into fashion this currently “uncool” standby.
- Admire beauty but don’t find yourself lacking – Kate may be a princess in a fairy tale, but one only has to look at her recent weight loss to see the pressure she is under. We’re all human, and only a very few of us live large in magazines and on television. Thank goodness for that!
The final takeaway is to always remember that outer “trimmings” mean nothing without a caring heart. Kate’s warm smile radiates an inner beauty which is why we love to look at her. President Obama had me at hello for the very same reason.